Thursday, March 10, 2016

Not what I expected

Well yeah, that didn't end well.

I'm spare you the details and just say that I'm a single pet parent now to my cutie pie. I've always wanted a dog. I've always wanted a pet that I could cuddle with and have a bond with. When I was younger, I had fish, lizards, a frog, a pet roach (lol), and a turtle. I used to allow my turtle, Vanessa, to sleep in the bed with me. Trust me I knew and understood that that's against their nature to try and get close, but I was reaching for that cuddle love. I honestly never thought it was possible for me.

Even with me maturing and growing into an adult, I didn't think about actually having a dog. I knew people in college who had off campus apartments and they had dogs or cats, but it never registered in my mine to get one. I mean I didn't get to live off campus until my 5th year of school (yes 5th year of college) and honestly I don't even think I would have wanted to spare had time, space, or money. Dogs are like babies that will never be able to talk, but at least they know how to walk and communicate in their own way, although we as humans have to really sit down and understand what they are wanting from us with that whine, grunt, whimper, and infamous puppy dog eyes.

I actually had no idea that was a real thing until Raven laid them on me one day. I was instantly put in a trance that was tough to break since she's so cute and of course I'm biased because she's my dog. Beware people, puppy dog eyes is a real thing. It might make you buy dog toys for no reason at all, it might make you feed them more of the chicken you were saving for meal prep, it might even have you late to work because you want to cuddle with them longer.

I'm saying all this to say this: THIS HAS BEEN AN ADVENTURE. I always just thought people had dogs and it was easy breezy. I have not found that to be the case. It's not hard, but it most definitely takes serious effort in understanding the dog and their cues and behaviors. I do think dogs have a certain consciousness and I do think dogs feel things that we humans feel as well. I do honestly feel like she was hurt when he left. She acted very weird. She had always been closer to him than me. They had a bond that I was envious of; because I knew when I was younger that I enjoyed the idea of a dog, but when she actually showed up in my life a year ago, I had no experience of actually taking care of a dog.

It's been hard being raising her on my own. This may sound silly to some, but I think that with anything in your life you should care for it with all your might. Be it your goals, kids, car, home, job, body, mind, furniture, pets-- take care of them with all your might. Although it's been tough to adjust, we have managed and now our bond is stronger than ever. She never used to lay with me on the couch, but now she does. It's oxytocin overload in our house now 

No comments:

Post a Comment